Rosemary O. Ogedengbe, PhD
What Does it Mean to Have a Relationship?
Man is not only a physical being but also a social and emotional being. No one can thrive in isolation. Hence, relationship is fundamental to our well-being. We interact with countless number of people daily but it is not everyone we interact with, that we can say we have a relationship with. The term relationship suggests a form of tie that motivates an on-going interaction between two people or among a group of people. In very simple terms, human relationship means the connection that exists between two people or among a group of people. There are different types of relationships, such as friendship, business or work relationship, consanguinity (the type of relationship that exists among family members), acquaintance, romantic or love relationship, etc. Our focus however, is on romantic relationship, otherwise known as pairing off.
Relationship is Inevitable
When we were children, we only yearned for interaction with our parents, other family members, friends and a few others. We couldn’t feel any difference whether we played with our friends of the same sex with us or those of the opposite sex. However, at puberty, when we attain sexual maturation, we begin to feel a need for more intimacy.
This makes us to experience attraction to the opposite sex. Usually, a boy would feel attracted to girls and a girl would feel attracted to boys. If a boy and a girl find that they are both attracted to each other, and they both agree to be friends, a relationship is said to have been established.
What Purpose Does a Relationship Serve?
- Friendship -to confide in, share ideas, ambitions,
- Emotional Support – to share sad and happy moments
- Preparation for future family life.
What Makes a Healthy Relationship?
- A clear definition of the relationship- is it casual friendship, love?, do not assume.
- Clarity about feelings. Be sure about what you feel and try to understand the feelings of the other person towards you. Is it lust, infatuation or love? Being clear about the feelings involved helps to guide our expectations and consequently prevents disappointment and heartbreak. For instance, if a person lusts after you, they may come after you with a lot of pressure that could easily be mistaken for deep love but the drive is basically to get physically intimate with you. Such a person is not likely to be committed to a lasting relationship with you.
- Mutual attraction, admiration. It is cool that you like this person. Does he or she like you as much? It is also cool that someone likes you and is even crazy about you. Do you like this person? Are you cool with him or her? That someone loves you does not mean you must have a relationship with the person if you are not cool with them. The feelings must be mutual. Otherwise, you wont have a relationship of mutual commitment and mutual satisfaction.
- Mutual understanding, trust, respect.
- Clearly stated boundaries provide protection against abuse. You should be able to draw the line between patience and abuse tolerance. Be bold enough to state how you do not wish to be treated in a relationship. For instance, if your friend calls you a name that you are not comfortable with, it is okay to say you do not like to be called by that name. If your friend demands a level of physical intimacy that you are not ready for, it is fine to let them know. The easiest way to encourage abuse in a relationship is to endure negative treatments because of the fear of losing the relationship. If your friend values your relationship as much as you do, they will not insist on behaviours that contradict your values or make you unhappy. It is dangerous to remain in a relationship in the hope that the abuser will change.
Am I Ready for a Relationship?
Lets look at the considerations:
- Chronological age. Many experts agree that young people who have not attained the age of adulthood may not have developed the psychological capacities required to effectively handle a delicate relationship such as an intimate relationship. Meanwhile, the age of adulthood differs from one country to another. For instance, in Nigeria and most other African countries , the age of adulthood is 18. From the above, we can see clearly that relationship is for adults and not for children.
- Psychological /emotional maturity. No matter how much you and your friend like or even love each other, there will be times when you will disagree on certain issues. It requires maturity to be able to preserve your relationship even as you quarrel and try to resolve the conflict. Without psychological and emotional maturity, one may keep moving from one relationship to another, and this could make it difficult to enjoy a stable and lasting relationship.
- Social skills. Relationship requires social skills- the behaviours that make it easy for others to relate with you and to want to remain close to you. This has to do with how you relate with others. Do you appreciate other people and express such appreciation to them? No one will stay in a relationship with you if your behaviours towards them make them to feel worthless.
- Communication skills – This is not necessarily about grammar but about how you are able to pass your intended message confidently, clearly and politely. Effective communication skills enable you to project your needs, interests and feelings in a non – threatening but self protective manner.
- You are not ready for a relationship until you are able to distinguish between love and sex. As mentioned earlier, once we have attained puberty, it is normal for us to experience sexual feelings as well as sexual attraction. This attraction could be aroused by different qualities that we admire about the particular person, ranging from little things, such as their voice, looks and comportment, to more tangible things, such as intelligence and character. Once this attraction is formed, it is possible to have sexual feelings towards this person, and normal to desire to get intimate them. However, it is important to understand that these feelings are not exclusively towards only this person – It is possible that we will meet someone else in another place and circumstance that we will also admire, perhaps for some other qualities, and if we get close to them enough, we may also experience sexual attraction towards them. Sometimes, a young person may find that he or she is experiencing attraction to more than one person at the same time. Usually, from the onset of puberty, to the time we are in our early twenties, when we may be fully ready for a serious relationship, an average young person would have met tens of people that he or she is sexually attracted to. The above scenario implies two things. The first is that sexual attraction is not the same thing as love. The second implication is that we can’t possibly have sex with everyone we feel attracted to in a life time.
How Would I Know If I Love Someone or If Someone Loves Me?
Love is one of the most difficult emotions to define. I prefer to define love as a deep, pleasant, intense or overwhelming and fulfilling experience of admiration, acceptance, goodwill, affection and a strong and insatiable desire for someone. By being deep, I mean that love is not a shallow feeling but a deeply rooted feeling that takes its root over time. It takes time to grow. Hence, once rooted, it has the resilience to withstand storm and stress. By being pleasant, I mean that love is a sweet and pleasurable experience. You feel good and happy when you are in love. The thoughts of the one you love makes you to feel happy. Love is intense and overwhelming. This means that when you love someone, you can’t cover it up, or pretend not to love them for too long. Love will always find expression. By being fulfilling, I mean that you experience wholeness when you are in love. There is always a feeling of something lost but found . It feels as though there has been an unnoticed vacuum in your life that has just been filled.
Love makes you feel complete. This is why I often tell young people during counselling sessions that, ” if it doesn’t make you feel complete, it may not be love.” When you love someone, not only the person enjoys the affection that you demonstrate to them, loving them also makes you fulfilled. You are glad that you have the opportunity to love them for their own sake.
When you love someone, you admire them greatly and hold them in high esteem. This is why I also say to young people, “if this person disrespects you or makes you to feel worthless, he or she may not love you”. When you love someone, he or she is almost like an “idol” to you. When you love someone, you wish them well and want the best for them. You don’t want them to come to any form of harm. Your goodwill is towards them always and unconditionally.
By a strong and insatiable desire, I mean that you want to be close to the person you love. You want to see them, hear them and spend time with them often, and you are never tired of them. You want them to remain in your life.
What Could go Wrong?
Many things could go wrong in a relationship. Examples are:
- Abuse – intimate partner violence (IPV) which could be physical, sexual, emotional/psychological, economic abuse, controlling behaviour,
- Heart break
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Unplanned pregnancy
- Unplanned parenthood
- Loss of concentration and focus on academics/ career development, etc.
Thanks for sharing
Wow you rock
Some genuinely nice and utilitarian information on this site, too I believe the design and style holds excellent features. Lonni Lorenzo Filmore
I savor, result in I found just what I was taking a look for. Tony Myrwyn Spiegleman Marni Ronnie Roybn
The statements you present in this material are quite exact, fascinating and educational. I concur with several statements here. Well done! Emalee Fidel Gerti
Recently, I did not give lots of consideration to leaving feedback on blog web page posts and have positioned comments even considerably less. Cory Delmer Sedda
Hello to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are good in favor of new visitors. Eolande Kipper Singleton
Hi, I just read texts on your blog and I became interested in the topic. I like your content and I am thinking whether I could use your words in my work? Would it be doable? If yes, please contact with me. Thanks. Kirstin Pennie Lad
Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossip and web stuff and this is actually irritating. A good website with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for making this site, and I will be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email? Marissa Giulio Emeric
I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thanks again Collen Marco Bob
Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological world everything is available on net? Cassandre Craig Statis
I must convey my affection for your generosity giving support to folks that really need guidance on this idea. Your real dedication to getting the message all through has been unbelievably advantageous and has frequently permitted associates much like me to arrive at their ambitions. Your helpful tutorial denotes a lot a person like me and even further to my office colleagues. Thank you; from each one of us. Margalit Alanson Mohamed
We have all the necessary skills without leaking away your previous data. Cecelia Reggis Desiree Sherry Rice Falconer
Very good post! We will be linking to this great article on our site. Keep up the good writing. Cary Colman Mientao
You ought to take part in a contest for one of the most useful blogs on the net. I will highly recommend this site! Francisca Iosep Zima
I have recently found this blog and I absolutely enjoy reading the hell out of it. Thank you so much for your time and work! Candis Stanislaw Hakon
I have recently started a website, the information you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. Margarette Rikki Sweet
It is a very good useful article I like to read such articles Georgianne Barris Shetrit
magnificent issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader. What might you recommend about your put up that you made a few days ago? Any certain?| Yvonne Wesley Volnak
There is significantly a bundle to understand about this. I presume you made certain wonderful points in functions also. Jo Ann Ansel Denby
Howdy! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics? Thanks a lot! Chiarra Brendan Chladek
Just desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity for your post is simply spectacular and i could assume you are an expert in this subject. Well with your permission let me to snatch your feed to stay updated with impending post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work. Bettina Mendy Doxia
I got what you intend,saved to favorites, very nice web site. Loutitia Lockwood Ikeda
Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. Desiree Olivier Redford
Hello, yeah this paragraph is in fact pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging. Sharline Gustavus Kiehl
I was able to find good information from your content. Doralin Otto Ronal
Great solution, thank you for an excellent article. Jacinta Hirsch Rozalin
So very nice Jeff. Can’t wait to see it installed. Staining is a fun phase of projects seeing the various tones of the grain coming out. Makes me want to start something! That is a great story about the mom and pop store having the brand you use. Gwenneth Elmer Holle
There are some interesting points in this short article however I don?t know if I see all of them facility to heart. There is some credibility yet I will hold viewpoint till I explore it additionally. Excellent article, thanks and also we want more! Added to FeedBurner too Lilias Carney Erroll
great points altogether, you just gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you made some days ago? Any positive? Nikoletta Tades Bohrer
You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most persons will consent with your site. Stafani Ichabod Brindle Lilas Morgen Stacie
Hi there, after reading this amazing paragraph i am as well glad to share my familiarity here with colleagues. Afton Thadeus Edy
Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It is the little changes that produce the biggest changes. Thanks for sharing! Marnia Frederick Alexandrina
Appreciation to my father who informed me about this website, this website is really remarkable. Yovonnda Darrell Prosser Jaynell Clarence Roselba
Thanks to my father who informed me regarding this website, this blog is truly awesome. Ketty Fairfax Gurney
A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world but very few real friends.
You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I?ll try to get the hang of it!
It’s very straightforward to find out any topic on web as compared to books, as I found this piece of writing at this site.
my web blog – tracfone 2022
Thank you admin!
I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye
Hi, your content is really great. We will be waiting for more.
There may be noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain good points in features also.
I got what you intend,bookmarked, very decent website.
My website: корейское порно
Hi, your content is really great. We will be waiting for more.
Really good, thx.
Thank you admin!
Respect to post author, some fantastic information
My website: би порно