for nineteen years, we have provided guidance and counselling services for individuals, families, schools and other organizations.
WHO WE ARE
Rapha Counselling Concepts was registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission in June 2003 with BN No:139825, as a counselling and mentoring outfit for young people and adults who work with young people.
The initiative emanated from the founder’s passion to assist young people to resolve the challenges that impinge on their well- being and development with a view to helping them to achieve a smooth transition into responsible adulthood, and ultimately attain self-actualisation.
We provide guidance and counselling services for individuals, schools and other organisations. Since its inception in 2003, Rapha Counselling Concepts has satisfactorily met the guidance and counselling needs of her clients.
Our school guidance and counselling services include:
Services for children and young adults:
– Study skills improvement
– Classroom learning enhancement
– Helping underachieving learners to excel
– Personal Growth and career/vocational guidance and Counselling
– Anger management skills training
– Stress management skills training
– Personal growth and career guidance and counselling
– Assertiveness skills training
– Conflict resolution skills training
– Psychotherapy to help children and young adults with mental health problems, such as anxiety disorders, depression, suicide ideation, trauma ( ASD, PTSD), etc. Children who have experienced sexual Violence including online sexual exploitation can experience anxiety, fear, depression, feelings of shame, low self- esteem, self blame, guilt and trauma, and may also be at high risk of substance use, and also develop behavioural problems including problematic sexual behaviour and problematic viewing of pornography. Children who are victims of online sexual exploitation in particular can develop social media addiction, problematic masturbation and viewing of pornography. We provide psychotherapy to help children and young adults who have experienced sexual Violence including online sexual exploitation to heal from trauma and resolve other problems resulting from their experience of sexual violence, such as substance use, low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, problematic sexual behaviour, social media addiction, problematic viewing of pornography, paranoia as well as relationship problems and sexual dysfunction in older ones. We also help them to refocus on their personal growth ( studies and career).
– Behaviour Modification – We use evidence based psychological techniques to help individuals to unlearn maladaptive behaviours. We have successfully helped some of our clients to resolve challenges such as pilfering, lie telling, bullying, examination malpractice, truancy, problematic gambling, problematic masturbation, problematic sexual behaviour, problematic viewing of pornography, oppositional Defiant Disorder, etc.
– Life skills training – Life skills are abilities that help individuals, especially young people to easily navigate through life. Life skills promote mental and physical health, enhance tolerance and consequently support social harmony. Life skills are protective factors. There are adequate scientific evidences that equipping young people with life skills empowers them to avoid harmful behaviours, such as substance use and risky sexual behaviours including sexual violence. Life skills have been found to keep young people away from crime. Moreover, life skills equip young people to focus on personal growth, and hence, promote productivity and self-actualisation.
Our Life Skills training focuses on communication and interpersonal skills, including negotiation, assertiveness, peer resistance, refusal; critical thinking and creative thinking; problem solving and decision making; self awareness, including values and value clarification; empathy; self and stress management skills, goal setting and goal priority, planning, time management, self-care, etc.
– Sexuality education – Our sexuality education programme is developmentally appropriate, culturally sensitive and child protection focused. The content includes self- awareness, adjusting to pubertal changes, reproductive health information, relationships and consequences of choices, skills on how to avoid sexual abuse, such as setting body boundaries, assertiveness skills, decision making skills, impulse or self-control skills, goal setting and goal priority, etc. The content is delivered in a child friendly and developmentally appropriate manner by only trained professionals.
– Personality Enhancement and Personal Growth Programme – Our personality enhancement and personal growth package is a short – medium term counselling interaction specifically designed to help young people to shape and enhance their evolving personality and equip them with life skills for sustainable personal growth, so that they would live happily, enjoy a smooth transition into responsible and productive adulthood, and actualise their potentials. The components include mentoring, life skills training, and modification of identified problem behaviours that could inhibit the individual’s well being, development and growth. The programme is offered to individuals in schools and in non school settings.
Trainings for Teachers, School Care Givers and Administrators:
– Child handling training
– How to create a positive school climate and classroom environment
– Improvement of Classroom teaching efficiency.
– Skills for supporting underachieving children.
Teacher’s image enhancement
– Training on Prevention of child sexual abuse within the school and appropriate response.
– How to prevent substance use among young people
Parenting Services – training and individual counselling:
– How to help children to maximize their potentials.
– Prevention and management of behavioural problems among children
– How to provide sexuality education for children at different developmental stages – What do you tell a three year old boy or girl about sexuality? At what age is your son or daughter old enough to start dating?
- Child sexual abuse prevention within the family and community
- How to protect children and adolescents from substance use
- Handling emergent issues in parenting – Should my eight years old have unsupervised access to the internet? Why do young people abuse substances, and how can parents prevent substance use and abuse among young people ?
- Parent child interactional therapy ( PCIT) to help parents resolve relational problems with their children.
- Trauma informed parenting skills training to empower parents to be able to help children who have suffered adverse childhood experiences ( ACEs) such as sexual abuse, physical abuse, witnessing domestic violence, emotional abuse, bereavement, neglect, etc.
- How to protect children from sexual abuse
- How to protect children from substance use.
Trianings for Administrators and Care Givers in Orhpanages , Children’s Shelters/ Foster Homes and Correctional Facilities
It is important to understand that children in shelters or homes, and especially those in correctional facilities are children already in distress. Therefore, if the task of catering for these children is not approached with understanding and appropriate skills, these environments that are meant to provide sucour to these already distressed children can easily become sources of additional stress to them. There have been reports of children becoming traumatized, re-traumatized or learning maladaptive behaviours while in facilities due to inadequate skills, and consequent poor handling of these children by caregivers and administrators, where as these facilities should ordinarily facilitate children’s healing from trauma and unlearning of maladaptive behaviours. Also, learning to accept and adjust to life away from one’s biological or known family can be difficult and sometimes stressful for children and adolescents, some of whom may take out this frustration on the caregivers by exhibiting behaviours that the caregivers themselves may find annoying and frustrating, especially if such care givers are not adequately informed. It is therefore not surpring to hear about conflicts between caregivers and children in facilities. Therefore, we have designed various trainings to equip caregivers and administrators of orphanages, children’s homes, shelters and correctional facilities with skills to be able to effectively cater for children. The trainings include :
– Required personal and professional qualities of a caregiver/ foster parent.
– Introduction to Child Growth and Development and Implications for nurturing, care and supervision by care givers.
– Trauma informed Care Skills Training
– Fostering Harmony among children in homes, shelters, correctional facilities.
– Communication skills for effectively communicating with children in special needs (including, listening, interviewing, observation Skills, etc).
– How to Protect Children from Sexual Abuse (in shelters, homes, correctional facilities).
– How to protect children from substance use
– Stress management training
– Burnout prevention and management
– Vicarious trauma management
Services for Children in Orphanages, Shelters, Homes and Correctional Facilities:
– Communication and social skills training including conflict resolution, assertiveness
– Trauma Coping Skills training
– How to avoid sexual abuse
– How to avoid substance use
– Anger management skills training
– Stress management skills training
– Sexuality Education
-Educational Guidance and Counselling including management of underachieving children.
– Personal Growth/ Career and Vocational Guidance and Counselling
– Individual and group psychotherapy
Modality: Onsite and virtual
Fees: Moderate and negotiable and depends on the number of participants.
Individual and Group Counselling Services –Services are rendered to individuals on one on one basis and in groups
A Legacy of Innovation
We employ effective processes that help young people to thrive and actualise themselves. Rapha Counselling Concepts brings an integrated approach, years of experience and next generation resources to help young people answer tough questions regarding their development and resolve difficult psychological challenges.
The Rapha Counselling team members are not only experts but are also committed to quality service, innovation and sustainability of results.
Whatever your aspirations, Rapha Counselling Concepts can help you to unlock your potentials for wellbeing and growth. Get in touch today and see how we can help.