More Effects of ODD, Diagnosis and Treatment.
Other effects of ODD on a young person include stress and anxiety as the young person is always getting into one trouble or the other, at home and in the school. At adolescence, young people with ODD are more likely than their peers to experience arrest and serve jail terms as they usually engage in violent behaviours and other activities that put them in conflict with the law, such as physical assault, rape, economic fraud, stealing and armed robbery. The life of a young person, especially an adolescent with ODD is socially and emotionally difficult as he has to battle with rejection from all quarters. This rejection together with personal inadequacies, such as poor academic performance or failure to acquire vocational skills, impact negatively on his self- worth and self esteem. The result is that the young person gets to a point where he feels irrelevant and out of place in the society.
This could lead to frustration, hopelessness, depression, substance use and addiction, suicide ideation , self harming behaviour and suicide. Some young people at this point, may experience a heightened sense of vengeance and engage in extremely violent behaviours, such as murder and terrorism. This is more common among those who have suffered childhood sexual abuse, severe physical abuse, extreme parental neglect and deprivation as well as those who have been publicly humiliated or disowned by their families. This category of young people may feel they have nothing to protect.
Oppositional defiant disorder has been identified as a risk factor for the development of other psychological disorders such as conduct disorder, antisocial personality disorder, substance abuse, social media addiction, addiction to sex and other forms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Adolescents with ODD may suffer psychosomatic symptoms such as diarrhea, insomnia and aches. Generally, the relationship of a young person with ODD is characterised by conflicts due to lack of sensitivity to others’ needs and values. The young person with ODD has no respect for other people’s personal boundaries. These attitudes could have adverse effects on the future family life of the young person, by increasing their susceptibility to failed relationships, dysfunctional marriage, separation and divorce.
As the young person with ODD enters into adulthood, he may lack the confidence to enter into the world of work as he may have failed to obtain the minimum academic requirement or vocational preparedness needed to function effectively in a competitive labour market. Young adults with ODD who are fortunate enough to secure jobs may have a hard time sustaining their jobs due to lack of respect for professional and organisational ethics. They are more likely than others to disrespect their superiors, undermine established protocols, lead agitations and less likely to meet deadlines.
How Prevalent is ODD?
About 10.2 % of the global population of children are said to suffer from ODD while 2%-16% of school age children have been reported to suffer from the disorder. Both boys and girls are affected by ODD though more boys (11%) than girls (9%) struggle with the disorder.
Diagnosis of ODD
Though some experts are of the opinion that there could be genetic or other biological causes of ODD, there has not been and there is currently no known laboratory test that can be used for the diagnosis of ODD. Medical examinations may be conducted to ascertain the existence or extent of ODD related medical conditions such as substance abuse and psychosomatic symptoms.
The diagnosis of ODD itself is based on psychological assessment and evaluation of a child suspected to suffer from ODD. The signs of ODD usually manifest in children before the age of 8. As recommended by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder (DSM) 5th edition, these three conditions must be present before a child can be said to suffer from ODD.
- A consistent behavioural pattern of anger, irritable mood, argumentative behaviour, especially with parents and authority figures, defiant behaviour, vindictiveness. These symptoms must last for at least 6 months and at least, one of the symptoms must be displayed to someone other than family members. Also, the child must have acted spitefully, at least twice within the six month period.
- The behaviour is severe enough to disrupt the child’s normal functioning in terms of learning or interaction and it also causes distress for the child.
- The behaviour is not as a result of substance abuse or other mental health problems. The disorder may be mild ( presenting in only one setting, eg only home or only school). It may be moderate ( presenting in two settings, eg home and school) or severe (presenting in three or more settings)
Do Children Outgrow ODD?
Children do not ordinarily outgrow ODD as a result of biological growth alone. However, positive socialisation can have a positive effect on the disorder. Where the individual does not get help and continues to interact with peers that strengthen the disorder, the disorder could be carried into adulthood.
Treatment of ODD
Just as there is no medical diagnosis of ODD, there is currently no known medical treatment for ODD. Nevertheless, medical interventions may be included in the treatment plan of ODD to ameliorate certain medical conditions that usually result from the disorder, such as stress, depression, anxiety, substance abuse and psychosomatic symptoms.
The core treatment of the disorder itself is hinged on psychotherapy. Psychotherapy procedures for the treatment of ODD include Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ( CBT) focused on :
- helping the child to gain understanding of the problem and change faulty perceptions, such as the perception of being hated.
- helping the child to learn impulse control, anger management and improve problem solving and communication kills so that he/she would be able to express needs and feelings using socially healthy media rather than the use of violence or temper tantrums.
- treating related psychologal problems resulting from the disorder, such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety substance abuse, social media addiction, addiction to sex or pornography and other obsessive compulsive behaviours.
Psychotherapy is also used to help parents and caregivers of the child to heal from psychological problems they may experience in the course of handling the child, such as stress, anxiety, anger, depression and guilt in some cases.
In addition, therapies, such as parent-child Interactive therapy( PCIT) help to improve the interaction dynamics between the child and the parents.
The treatment of ODD requires parenting training for parents and caregivers of the child, to help them understand the child’s problem and improve their parenting skills, so that they would be able to manage the child more effectively, rather than breaking the child due to frustration.
Individual and group counselling can be used to help young people with ODD and their parents.
What can Parents do to Help a Child with ODD?
- Come to terms with the problem – Accept that the child has a problem and that he/ she needs your help.
- Express your love and acceptance- Let the child be convinced that you love him /her as a person and that it is the behaviour that is the issue. Though young people with ODD usually give the impression that they are not interested in any one’s approval or affection, deep inside them, they yearn for acceptance and love, especially from their significant others.
- Focus on your goal of helping the child.
- Deal with your emotions and face the task. It is true that nothing can be more annoying or humiliating to a parent than being consistently opposed and resisted by one’s own child. In the course of my work, I have seen parents of young people with ODD breakdown and weep while expressing their deep hurts. Some young people with ODD get aggressive to the extent of assaulting their parents verbally or physically. Some go to the extent of stealing and selling their parents’ property in order to raise funds for drugs or just to punish their parents. There is no doubt that the pain caused by one’s child can sit deep. However, if you are going to help this child, you will need to first deal with your hurt, anger and bitterness. If you cannot handle this on your own, it is okay to get psychological help.
- Be optimistic about change- Never write off any child. I have seen children who were written off for bad behaviour change positively and become role models and the corner stones of their families. Be positive about your child’s ability to change and give the child the opportunity to achieve the change.
- Do not expect an automatic change- Remember that unlearning a bad behaviour is never automatic. It takes a gradual process. So, even when your child has commenced the process of therapy, some misbehaviours will surface occasionally. This does not mean that the child is not making efforts to change. Be patient with the child.
- Minimize factors that strengthen the behaviour. One of the things that strengthen ODD in adolescents, is attention from friends and their heroe worship of the young person with ODD, who usually and easily becomes the gang leader. Hence, a change of environment or school is usually recommended in severe cases of ODD, especially while therapy is on going or after therapy.
- Exercise your authority calmly but confidently- Avoid power struggle with your child. Your child will never be your parent no matter what. Even if you think you may have lost your authority along the way, do not betray your fear or struggle with your child to reclaim it. Nothing confuses a young person with ODD more than a calm response when the child expects you to explode. This does not mean that you will allow the misbehaviour to pass. Rather, it means that you are calm enough to decide on the best strategy you will apply in response to the misbehaviour. Pick up courage and take your place as a parent. You don’t have to shout, hit or threaten to disown your child in order to exercise your authority.
- Don’t Stop Caring- Some parents think they can improve their control over a young person with ODD by refusing to care for or provide for the child. This is usually counter productive as the young person at this point, may have established a strong network of support among the peers, who in most cases are usually also young people with questionable behaviours. The refusal of parents to care for young people with ODD makes it easy for them to explore criminal behaviours, such as stealing and armed robbery in order to survive.
- Do not indulge the child- Hold the child accountable for his actions. Set rules and limits with specific consequences. Explain them as well as the consequences of breaking them. Ensure that you follow up on this. Once rules are broken after explanations and warnings, do not allow any room for negotiation. Otherwise, the child will not take you seriously.
- Use healthy techniques rather than destructive punishments to discourage bad behaviour. Some of the healthy techniques include time out and withdrawal of certain privileges. Please, note that food necessary for survival and not a privilege that should be withheld from a child.
- Avoid verbal and physical abuse, public humiliation, locking out the child and threats to disown the child.
- Teach decision making skills – Let the child know that actions have consequences and that some of these consequences are inevitable. For instance, if your 6 years old pours his food on the floor in anger, let him tidy up the mess. Teach the real consequences of wrong behaviours and let them know that these consequences are far more severe than punishment.
- Teach healthy ways of communicating needs, anger and frustration instead of using temper tantrums.
- Teach resilience and problem solving skills so that the child would learn how to handle difficult situations without feeling frustrated easily .
- Establish a warm relationship that encourages dialogue with your child.
- Acknowledge and reinforce positive behaviours. Encourage the child’s efforts towards positive change no matter how insignificant such efforts may seem. This will enhance the child’s self- worth and self-esteem, and also increase his confidence in his ability to change.
- Ignore little mistakes while the child is making effort to Change. Do not make every mistake an issue.
- Get the services of a child psychotherapist.
I will like to conclude by sharing a question my son asked me when he was 6 years old. He had just used the convenience, and when he came out, he asked, ‘mummy, can you run away from your own feces? ‘ Confused about the question, I asked him to explain, and he said, ‘ I felt like running out because the stench was horrible but I had to endure it till I finished.’
Parenting a child, especially an adolescent with ODD could be a messy and an unbearably stinky experience. Yes, you want to run away from it but it remains your ‘mess’ . Hence, the only profitable thing is to complete the process of dealing with the problem. You can’t possibly run away from your child. Some people talk about disowning a child. Is it really possible to disown a child and never have a thought about the child? I guess not. So, instead of disowning a young person with ODD, the parent should accept the problem and face it by helping the child.
Dr. Rosemary Oshiomah Ogedengbe-Child Psychotherapist @ www.raphacounsellingnigeria.com.
I conceive you have noted some very interesting points, regards for the post. Lethia Valdemar Bevvy
Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this website, because i wish for enjoyment, as this this web site conations truly nice funny material too. Drusy Dunc Hugues
Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article. Many thanks for supplying this information. Lindsay Quintus Katti
Wonderful post! We are linking to this particularly great content on our site. Keep up the great writing. Melisent Ambrosio Devaney
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and also the rest of the website is very good. Juana Xever Omari
I really like and appreciate your article post. Really looking forward to read more. Cool. Bobby Alfonso Meggie
Great post, you have pointed out some good details , I besides believe this s a very fantastic website. Wylma Bartholemy Chisholm
I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It?s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before. Erica Gan Behl
excellent points altogether, you simply received a brand new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your post that you just made some days in the past? Any sure?| Vinnie Nickolas Tamara
You have a quality site, I congratulate you on this Lucine Farrel Fokos
Thank you for taking the time to read! I pray your study time is enhanced. Katha Archambault Chavaree
Hi there Dear, are you actually visiting this web site daily, if so after that you will without doubt get nice experience. Edee Roley Mathis
Waay cool! Soome extremey valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and also the rest of the sitfe is really good. Merola Ronny Kyd
Very descriptive blog, I enjoyed that bit. Will there be a part 2? Alvina Armand Nevile
Appreciate you sharing, great post. Really thank you! Really Cool. Babs Irvin Abagael
Can I simply say what a comfort to discover a person that actually understands what they are discussing online. You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people ought to check this out and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you are not more popular because you definitely have the gift. Ivette Hillier Intosh
Wow! In the end I got a weblog from where I can really get valuable data concerning my study and knowledge. Brynna Izaak Ameline
Highly energetic post, I loved that bit. Will there be a part 2? Karon Miles Galina
You created some decent points there. I looked on the internet for that issue and found most individuals will go together with using your internet site. Dinah Mickey Oakleil
Great article! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our site. Melinde Bing Evie
Better to ask a question than to remain ignorant.
The intima is also the way in which we value and esteem ourselves and determines how we are with being with others. Otha Mikey Archaimbaud
You made some clear points there. I did a search on the topic and found most individuals will go along with with your website. Lindi Itch Cariotta
I think this is among the most significant information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers Lynn Feliks Primrosa
Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me. Jaine Julie Wyatt
Hey there, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog site in Ie, it looks fine but when opening
in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted
to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb blog!
you are truly a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a wonderful job on this matter!
Thank you for writing this article. I appreciate the subject too.
I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve introduced to your post. They are really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for starters. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.
Great ? I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task..
Some tips i have usually told folks is that while searching for a good on the net electronics retail store, there are a few components that you have to think about. First and foremost, you should really make sure to look for a reputable and in addition, reliable retailer that has picked up great opinions and scores from other people and marketplace professionals. This will make sure that you are dealing with a well-known store that gives good service and support to their patrons. Many thanks for sharing your ideas on this blog.
Thanks , I’ve just been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the greatest I have discovered till now. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?
Thanks a ton for your post. I would really like to write my opinion that the cost of car insurance will vary from one insurance plan to another, mainly because there are so many different facets which give rise to the overall cost. For example, the make and model of the motor vehicle will have an enormous bearing on the price tag. A reliable old family motor vehicle will have a more economical premium when compared to a flashy sports vehicle.
I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i am glad to express that I have an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I most no doubt will make certain to do not fail to remember this website and provides it a glance regularly.
Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I?ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.
Thank you admin!
I don?t even understand how I finished up right here, however I thought this post used to be great. I do not know who you’re however definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you happen to aren’t already 😉 Cheers!
I don?t even know how I finished up right here, however I assumed this submit was once good. I do not realize who you’re however definitely you’re going to a famous blogger for those who aren’t already 😉 Cheers!
A round of applause for your article. Much thanks again.
My website: армянское порно
We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.
Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.
I?ll immediately grasp your rss feed as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me realize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.
Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)
Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.
I reckon something truly special in this website.
My website: порно писсинг